What factors should I consider when hiring an attorney?
There are many important factors a person can consider before hiring an attorney to handle their personal or business legal matter. Here are some of them:
- You should always ask questions. A good lawyer will not be intimidated by direct questions and he or she won’t mind answering them.
- Does the attorney have experience in the type of legal areas in which you need representation? A good attorney is confident in the areas in which they practice. At the same time, that attorney should also know the limits of his or her abilities and experience, and if they do not accept your matter, the attorney should be willing to help you seek counsel that will suit your particular needs. For a detailed look at the types of cases our firm handles, please click here.
- Is the attorney able to devote the time and resources necessary to zealously represent your interests?
- Is the attorney a good strategist? Does the attorney conceive, develop, and execute a litigation or transactional strategy that will best advance your interests?
- Is the attorney proactive versus reactive? Does the attorney take a proactive approach to the practice of law, or simply react to the opposition’s moves? For a look at our firm’s philosophy, please click here.
- How does the attorney feel about winning? Winning can mean a lot of different things in a lot of different contexts. However, an experienced attorney will understand the client is looking for someone to zealously represent their interests at every turn.
- Is the attorney cognizant at all times of his or her ethical obligations?
- Is the attorney willing and capable of trying a case in the event a legal dispute goes to trial?
- Is the attorney capable of handling an appeal in your legal matter, if necessary?
- Is the attorney a good negotiator?
- Are you comfortable around the attorney? An attorney-client relationship is a professional relationship. You may be called to work with your attorney closely in many aspects of your legal matter. It is therefore important that you feel comfortable interacting with him or her.
- Does the attorney take time to explain things to you and to answer your questions?
- Is the attorney able to provide answers in clear and understandable terms?
- Does the attorney return your phone calls or e-mails within a reasonable time period?
- Does the attorney listen to what you have to say?
- Do not feel intimidated by the attorney you are considering. You should never allow a lawyer to strong-arm you into choosing their firm. The lawyer’s professionalism and experience should speak for itself.