Neil Pedersen is a fierce competitor, savvy negotiator, and insightful strategist. He has a thirty- year track record of procuring significant judgments and settlements in the areas of employment discrimination and termination as well as insurance coverage and bad faith, business litigation, and real property litigation. He enjoys and excels in trial, and pushes cases aggressively in that direction.
Neil has been recognized by the legal community as one of its most honored professionals. He has been regularly named a Southern California Super Lawyer, and one of the best employment attorneys in Orange County. He has enjoyed over twenty-five years as an AV-rated attorney for his excellence and ethical compass. His law school inducted him into its Alumni Hall of Fame in 2010, and in 2018 the Western State Law Review presented him with its first Distinguished Alumni Award. Neil was named Attorney of the Year by the State Bar Solo and Small Firm Section in 2016. Neil enjoys sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with others. He has contributed over 16,000 answers on the AVVO Q&A site, making him the by far most prolific contributor to the employment practice area on that site. He has given over 85 professional presentations and has contributed to over 35 publications in the legal community. Neil is also an adjunct professor at Western State Law School teaching both employment law and law practice management to future lawyers.
Neil has been married to his wife Janelle for 32 years. He has three sons, seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. He enjoys watching high school and college sports and loves to travel.
- Pedersen Law APC, Irvine, CA.
- Senior Principal, June 2000 to present
- QuantumLink Corporation, Torrance, CA.
- Vice-President of Human Resources/General Counsel, June 1998 to December 1999
- Vice-President of Corporate Policy/General Counsel, March 1998 to June 1998
- Pedersen & Black, a Professional Law Corporation, Newport Beach, CA.
- Principal, May 1994 to February 1998
- Ford & Pedersen, Los Angeles, CA.
- Senior Associate Attorney, December 1990 to April 1994
- Walker, Kendrick & Jackson, Newport Beach, CA.
- Associate Attorney, August 1987 to December 1990
- Western State School of Law, Fullerton, CA, 1988. Juris Doctorate.
- Magna Cum Laude, Valedictorian, Editor-in-Chief of Law Review
- Western State University, Fullerton, CA, 1986. Bachelor of Science in Law.
Honors & Rewards
- Awarded “Distinguished Alumni Award” by Western State Law Review, 2018.
- Named “Attorney of the Year” by the California State Bar Solo and Small Firm Section, 2016.
- Client’s Choice Award conferred by AVVO.com, 2016-present.
- Named a “Super Lawyer” by Thompson Reuters publications, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.
- Identified as one of the “Best Attorneys in Southern California” by American Lawyer Media (ALM), 2012 to present.
- Rated “Superb” and a perfect “10” by AVVO.com since 2012.
- Top Contributor distinction conferred by AVVO.com every year since 2012.
- Identified as one of the “Best Attorneys in Orange County” in employment law by the Orange County Register’s OC Metro Magazine, August 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017.
- Southern California’s Top Rated Lawyers by Legal Leaders Publications, 2013, 2016.
- Named a “Top 100 Employment Lawyer” by The National Advocates, 2015.
- “Wall of Justice” honoree by the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA), 2014.
- Inducted into the Western State School of Law Alumni Hall of Fame, May 2010.
- Presented with Special Appreciation Award by Orange County Bar Association Solo and Small Firm Section for dedication and service to the section, December 2010.
- “AV” Rated by Martindale Hubbell continuously since 1995.
- Kim v. FNS Transportation, Los Angeles Superior Court. $2.5 million class action settlement (in progress) based on claims of misclassification of approximately 160 truckers as independent contractors in the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.
- Trousas v. Kim, etc., et al., San Bernardino Superior Court. $2.1 million judgment paid after a ten-year legal battle arising out of sexual harassment in a restaurant.
- Bertrand v. County of Riverside, Riverside Superior Court. $1.05 million settlement based on claims of sexual harassment, disability discrimination and retaliation in the workplace.
- Goldbaum v. Dollarsmart Money Centers, San Diego Superior Court. $400,000 class action settlement of inadequate seating claims.
- Employee v. International Construction Co., Los Angeles Superior Court. Confidential $1 million settlement arising out of invasion of privacy, disability discrimination and retaliation claims.
- Employee v. International Electronics Co., Los Angeles Superior Court. Confidential $675,000 settlement of disability discrimination and wrongful termination claims.
- Mesa West v. Sentry Insurance, Orange County Superior Court. Member of the trial team that procured a $9.1 million jury verdict, resulting in a confidential settlement of all claims. Lawsuit involved three complex insurance coverage and bad faith claims.
- Waller v. Truck Insurance Exchange, Orange County Superior Court. Member of the trial team that procured a $62 million jury verdict based on theory of insurance bad faith. Judgment later overturned by California Supreme Court.
Admissions Professional Organizations & Community Involvement Additional Professional Experience Publications Published Opinions Speaking Engagements
The firm represents clients in California superior courts located throughout Orange, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, Ventura and San Bernardino counties. We are licensed in good standing to practice in all California State courts and all federal courts in California.
Professional Organizations & Community Involvement Additional Professional Experience Publications Published Opinions Speaking Engagements
Additional Professional Experience Publications Published Opinions Speaking Engagements